Aug 21 - Aug 27

Critical Equipment Failure

This week has been another busy one here at Blue Mountain Wildlife. Not only did we have many unique admissions and releases, below, but we also learned we need to replace our x-ray scanner and software. To do so, we’re asking for your help. And, we’re offering a fun trip in return!

If you have been reading Lynn’s Journal for any length of time, you know that an important part of BMW’s intake protocol is to take a whole-body radiograph of our patients. It helps us better evaluate the extent of their injuries and determine if we can reasonably expect to have a good outcome for the animal. 

Osprey 17-512 Is A Good Example

A fledgling Osprey was found tangled in baling twine, dangling from a nest platform. He was rescued and taken to the Irrigon Fish Hatchery where Bob picked him up and transported him to the Pendleton center. 

X-rays confirmed what we had found on the physical exam, although there was damage to the bone, the leg was not broken. 

After scraping, cleaning, flushing and stapling, the wound looked much better. A pressure bandage was applied to help reduce the swelling. Now we will apply tincture of time.

Two years ago, with the help of a bequest, BMW purchased a digital x-ray system from a vendor who came highly recommended by two other wildlife rehab centers. The $22,000 system paid for itself in reduced veterinary fees in just 15 months, reducing stress to our patients and travel time to the vet clinic.

X-ray position

Unfortunately, earlier this month we began having problems with our x-ray scanner, and we found out the hard way that we were sold an outdated system.  When the technical support contractor had difficulty identifying the problem and the vendor-provided loaner scanner didn’t work with our machine, we knew we had to look elsewhere for our x-ray technology. The scanner transfers the x-ray image from the x-ray plate to the computer so we can see it. It is currently working sporadically, and adding time and chance to our ability to help our patients.

We found Les Wilkens & Associates, a company in Seattle who provides x-ray equipment to dozens of veterinary hospitals in Oregon and Washington. They will make house calls if the need arises. We have identified a Fuji system, at a discounted price of $26,000, that will allow us to take even higher quality images than we are able to do now. This will be especially helpful with our smaller patients, who make up almost half of our case load.

Fuji scanner



We have commitments of $10,000 for the new scanner (pictured above), software, computer, monitor and x-ray cassettes. Can you help us raise the additional $16,000 needed? Any amount you can provide will be appreciated very much. If you are able to make a huge donation of $5,000 or more, we will thank you by providing a weekend for two at the wildlife center. Our visitor housing will be reserved just for you and you can be an honorary wildlife rehabilitator during your stay. To make a donation online type x-ray into the comment section. If you have questions regarding the overnight opportunity email me at Please help us get back to full strength!

GHOW 17-517

GHOW in fence

BMW member Anne Curcio found this Great Horned Owl hanging in a barbed-wire fence. With help from her husband, son and a big pair of pliers, she removed the owl from the fence and transported her to Animal Clinic East in Walla Walla where her wounds were treated and the wing bandaged. Volunteer Bill Dunham then transported the owl to the Pendleton center - it takes a village to do wildlife rehab. 

A radiograph confirmed what we found on the intake exam that no bones were broken, but the left shoulder was dislocated. It will take a few more days to know the full extent of the tissue damage caused by the barbed-wire. In the meantime, she is receiving antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and her left wing has been immobilized. Her appetite is good and that is always a good sign.

Golden Eagle Release

In April, a Golden Eagle was admitted after being hit by a car. The adult male had a serious head injury. It took two weeks for him to feel good enough to eat whole food on his own and nearly three months in a flight pen to regain his coordination. He was injured in the path of totality near Baker City which prompted us to postpone his release until after the eclipse. Sargent Cyr of the Oregon State Police, who rescued the eagle, and Tara Richards, BMW Board Member and volunteer who transported the eagle to Pendleton, were very pleased to have the honor of releasing him.

GOEA release 2

Painted Turtle Release

Painted Turtle

A Painted Turtle was thought to have been bitten by a dog and taken to Kennedy Veterinary Clinic in Milton-Freewater, OR. There, they flushed his maggot infested wound and volunteer Bill Dunham transported him to the Pendleton center (during the same trip as the Great Horned Owl above). After five days of treatment, the turtle had had enough of our hospitality and was released by BMW Board President Carl Scheeler on his pond.

Painted turtle and Carl
Painted Turtle release

contact us button      about button      donate button      get involved button falcon

facebook logo  twitter logo  youtube logo 2  
Location: 71046 Appaloosa Lane, Pendleton, Oregon 97801
Phone: 541.278.0215

2017 Blue Mountain Wildlife.  All rights reserved.